Saturday, April 5, 2008

I Am Legend Blu-ray Review

I Am Legend comes to Blu-ray with a 1080p VC-1 video transfer, English Dolby TrueHD 5.1 audio track, 2 versions of the film, on one 50 GB Blu-ray disc.

The movie stars Will Smith and his dog, and I won’t give too much away about the movie. I enjoyed it, it was a great popcorn flick. The release includes both the theatrical and alternate "controversial" ending. I wasn’t too fond of the ending on the theatrical release, it definitely needed a better ending. I then watched the alternate ending, and while it is an improvement over the theatrical, it still needs some work, the book ending would have fit it perfectly, but this isn’t the book it’s the movie.

The first half of the movie was definitely better, it was amusing and kept you interested. The second half was pretty good as well, but got progressively worse. I would definitely recommend everyone check out this movie at least once, it’s pretty good, and a decent popcorn film at worst.

PQ:
The PQ on this was pretty much what I thought it would be like. It definitely looks good, but not as impressive as most big releases. The transfer can be amazing at times, but it can also be very soft at times. It’s Superman Returns all over again, praised by many, but a letdown overall in my opinion.
It’s no where as disappointing as other recent Warner titles such as Michael Clayton, which looks good but not as great as I would have hoped. The movie could have also used seamless branching, but Warner has chosen to do the same transfer used for the HD DVD version (which would be harder to do seamless branching on from my understanding). It makes me think how much better the PQ could have been if they chose to do seamless branching rather than make two smaller versions of the movie. Overall it looks good though, and while I wouldn’t put it out for demo material, it shouldn’t disappoint overall. 8/10

AQ:
I Am Legend boasts a great English Dolby TrueHD 5.1 Surround track on both the theatrical and alternate ending. This is where the demo material is at, a lot more impressive than the picture quality. The audio really immerses you throughout the entire movie. There’s not much to say about it, other than it is top notch. Nothing to dock or fault. 9/10

Extras:
Extras are very little and unfortunately in SD except the animated comics, which is really disappointing, but here’s what is included:
"Cautionary Tale: The Science Of I Am Legend" Featurette
"Creating I Am Legend" Documentary
Animated Comics
The fact that they are very little to begin with is a joke, the fact that the really semi entertaining extras are in SD makes it even more of a joke. 2/10

Overall:
This movie screams double dip in every sense, from the good transfer that could be better had it been encoded specifically for Blu-ray and not HD DVD, and the many extras they do have but chose not to include. If you are a fan of the movie, you should be pleased with it overall. I thought the movie was decent, with decent PQ, and amazing AQ. Rent It at least.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Bullshit about the transfer being better if it wasnt on HD DVD.

WTF is wrong with you and all your BS and you love all the gay disney flicks