Thursday, July 3, 2008

Cloverfield Blu-ray Review

Cloverfield Blu-ray Review
by Loys Johnson















Picture:
Cloverfield comes to Blu-ray on a 50 GB Blu-ray disc, with a 1080p VC-1 encode. Ever since I saw the high definition trailer for Cloverfield I knew it was going to look great. There was plenty of discussion prior to the release questioning the necessity of the movie on Blu-ray, due to the assumption it was filmed on a standard definition camcorder or intentionally grainy picture, luckily that is not the case. The film was shot with high-def camcorders, and the release is great. The picture was very detailed throughout the movie, grain was included throughout the movie, but felt very unintrusive. The colors were great, and black levels are surprisingly deep. I would give the PQ a solid 9/10.














Audio:
Now comes the audio, Cloverfield comes with a Dolby TrueHD 5.1 Surround track that doesn't fail to impress. The bass was powerful throughout the film, and it will definitely have your room shaking throughout the entire movie. The dialogue did become hard to understand at times, but not a fault of the audio track, but the film's reality aspect. I was very impressed, after several viewings and comparisons with movies, I decided to give the audio a full 10/10 score.














Extras:

Special Investigation Mode (Blu-ray Exclusive)
The Making Of Cloverfield
Cloverfield Visual Effects
I Saw It! It's Alive! It's Huge!
Deleted Scenes
Alternate Endings

The extras were pretty good, the alternate endings were nothing special, and very similar. Special Investigation Mode plays the film in a small screen surrounded by a map that displays and tracks the monster and military activity. Little notes also come up throughout the film underneath the movie on a small display. The features were all pretty good, impressive enough to watch the movie all over again with the special investigation mode, and kept entertained throughout each feature, I just wish there were more. 6/10













The Blu-News Summary:

Cloverfield was an awesome and entertaining experience, even though I did get a bit motion sick on my first viewing. The picture quality was great and just as I expected, and the audio easily surpassed my expectations. The extras were also fairly impressive, I wish there were more, but what is included is definitely great. The movie has some good replay value in my opinion, and would easily give this a recommended rating.

No comments: