Monday, July 28, 2008

Doomsday Blu-ray Review

Doomsday Blu-ray Review
Written by Loys Johnson

Video:
Doomsday comes to Blu-ray on a BD-25 with a 1080p VC-1 video transfer. When I first recieved the disc, I skimmed through a scene and wasn't very impressed, only to realize later that it was the darkest scene of the film, which looked good, just not amazing. After watching the film in it's entirety my thoughts changed, this was not just good, it was amazing. The movie is a pretty dark film, but still manages to stay very detailed. The colors were vibrant, considering the film's visual style. The black levels were nice and deep.
I found the car chase scene to be the most visually stunning scene in the film, there was so much going on in the film, but detail was always there and everywhere, definitely demo material. The transfer really surprised me, there was nothing wrong with the video transfer. The movie's visual style might make it a 8/10-9/10 transfer for some, but Universal did a great job with what they had, and made something that really impresses. 10/10.

Audio:
Universal gives Doomsday a DTS-HD Master Audio 5.1 surround track. The audio sounds fantastic, right from the start you get sucked in to the film that is Doomsday. It's a very strong track, bringing everything to life. Every bullet is nice and clear, with the music blasting all around. I was really impressed with the overall presentation. The only complain is dialogue wasn't as clear as I would have liked, there were a few moments in the film in which it was hard to understand the dialogue. It could have just been me honestly, but it really stood out, and found myself rewinding to catch what was being said. I can't complain much about it though, it was still very impressive and brought the Doomsday atmosphere to my home theater. 9/10.

Extras:
Audio Commentary

Blu-ray Exclusive:
Picture-in-Picture (U-Control)

The audio commentary was decent, there were many quiet moments where it feels like they forgot they were doing a commentary, and were just watching the movie. The U-Control track was pretty awesome, but it seems Universal has taken all the extras and put them into the track. I'm not complaining about the U-Control track, because they did a great job with it. I just wish they made it so you can select those features in the menus, rather than remembering where in the movie you saw that U-Control clip to see it again. 5/10.

Blu-News Summary:
Doomsday was an awesome flick. I found myself amazed by the end, I managed to find at least one scene boring in a film, but Doomsday had me at the edge of my seat from start to finish, it was a great ride. No, the movie is not going to win any film awards anytime soon, but for those looking for just a fun movie to watch with friends, Doomsday is a top candidate. The movie is not for everyone, but it is not anywhere near one of the worst movies I've ever seen. It's definitely impressive, with a perfect video transfer (visual style in mind), and a superb audio track. I would go as far as to say 'Highly Recommended.'

3 comments:

Ishmael H. said...

Thank you for the review, I bought it today and i'm glad I did. The pq is awesome.

Anonymous said...

You need to do a better job of going into detail when it comes to video quality otherwise it comes of as an amateurish review.

SpartanJohnson said...

Ishmael H., thanks for the positive feedback, and I'm glad you enjoyed Doomsday!

anonymous, thanks for the feedback, I really do appreciate it. I'm fairly new to reviewing, but I will definitely make sure I go more into detail concerning the video quality. I want to know what everyone thinks I can do better on, what I'm doing good at, it's all very helpful.

Best,
Loys Johnson