Tuesday, September 30, 2008

The Thing Blu-ray Review

The Thing Blu-ray Review
Written by Loys Johnson

Video
The Thing comes to Blu-ray with a 1080p VC-1 video transfer, and wow does it look good. Right from the start I knew the transfer would be fantastic, and luckily it stayed that way. Colors are great, detail is fantastic, and black levels are solid. The colors are rich and vibrant, much better than I expected. Detail was also great, with close-ups and textures of clothing being quite impressive. The film also manages to keep black levels solid, adding to the pop of the transfer. I found I had the DVD, despite never seeing the film, and popped in for a comparison, the difference is quite outstanding. 8/10.

Audio
DTS-HD 5.1 Master Audio is included,and was left very pleased. Dialogue was clear and never too quiet. Surround speakers were not put to use as much as I would have liked, but the use was definitely decent, and most likely the best it could have sounded. The track definitely helped add to the experience which is The Thing, it really just adds the extra kick to an already great horror experience. 8/10.

Extras
Feature Commentary with Kurt Russell and Director John Carpenter
Picture-In-Picture track
My Scenes

Extras were disappointing, a feature commentary was incuded and was definitely entertaining. I definitely loved the added humor in the commentary, and was just fantastic. The Picture-in-Picture track is the 85 minute documentary, cut up and included as a Picture-in-Picture track, even more disappointing. I love Picture-in-Picture, but not if it means sacrificing extras to make one. My Scenes allows you to bookmark your favorite scenes, and click back on them anytime. 3/10.

Blu-news Summary
The Thing was a new experience to me, and I loved it. The ending could have been a bit stronger, but I found the story just so interesting, and found myself on the edge of my seat once things started getting freaky. The cast is great, and Kurt Russell did a great job in the film. The Thing was not the perfect horror fllick, but it was definitely above average. The Blu-ray presentation is fantastic, other than the lacking extras. Overall The Thing is 'Recommended.'

To Order From Amazon.com, Click Here!

No comments: