Tuesday, November 4, 2008

Get Smart Blu-ray Review

Get Smart Blu-ray Review
Written by Loys Johnson
Video
Get Smart comes to Blu-ray with a solid 1080p VC-1 video presentation. The film looks very good, and very clean. Detail was quite strong through out, with a few scenes that were a bit more on the soft side. Grain is there, although never intrusive. Colors were pretty good, although not as vibrant as I imagined they would be. Get Smart looks quite good on Blu-ray, it just isn't amazing. 8/10.

Audio
Warner has once again decided to go lossy, and only included a Dolby Digital 5.1 audio track. The track did not impress me that much, and not just because it's lossy. Dialogue did sound very nice and clear, although the surround speaker use was quite dull. The film's action scenes really felt limited, as if they were not able to reach their full potential. The track does it's job, but I wish the film would have received a Dolby TrueHD track. 7/10.

Extras

Disc 1:

Smart Takes-Alternate Scenes: Play Movie With Smart Takes (52:55)
The Old ''I Hid It In The Movie'' Trick (9:04) (SD)
The Right Agent For The Right Job (10:30) (SD)
Max In Moscow! (6:20) (SD)
Language Lessons (3:29) (SD)
Get Smart's Bruce & Lloyd Out Of Control Sneak Speak (3:12) (SD)
The Vomit Reel (5:19) (SD)
Spy Confidential: Gag Reel (5:39) (SD)

Disc 2:
Digital Copy of the film (Compatible with PC and Mac)

Disc 3:
Get Smart: Kaos Control DVD Game

I found the extras to be very funny, although I feel Smart Takes could have been incorporated out of the film instead. The digital copy is always great, although the DVD game is downright boring and confusing. 6/10.

Blu-news Summary
'Get Smart' is one of my favorite films of the year, it's just fun and hilarious. Steve Carell and Anne Hathaway work great as a team comedy-wise, and found myself laughing from start to finish. If you are looking for a fun film to watch on the weekend, I would definitely suggest it. The Blu-ray release is quite good, with great video and decent audio. The extras are mostly in standard definition, but I'm glad it's all there. Also included is a digital copy, as well as a DVD game. Get Smart on Blu-ray is 'Recommended.'

1 comment:

HighDefDiscNews said...

Great review Loys. Glad to see you at least enjoyed it unlike Peter Bracke who seems to have absolutely despised it. I grew up watching the show as a kid on "Nick at Nite" and "TV Land" so I was eager to see the film adapation. I saw it in the theatrical run earlier this year during a trip to Vegas but haven't had a chance to pop it in yet to watch or even start to review. I'll take your word over Hi-Def Digest that the video and audio are as good as you said. And yes, digital copy is ALWAYS a plus by me for a bonus material feature. Sad to hear that DVD game sucks though.