Sunday, January 25, 2009

Being There Blu-ray Review

Being There Blu-ray Review
Written by Loys Johnson
Disc Size: 26.2 GB
Film Size: 24.5 GB
Film Rating: PG

Video
Being There is presented on Blu-ray with a 1080p VC-1 video transfer. The transfer is fine, but I was never totally impressed. Black levels varied throughout the transfer, sometimes they were nice and deep, but many times they were not. My biggest issue is with the lack of detail at times due to DNR, there are many scenes where facial details look like they are completely missing or out of focus. Colors varied from dull to rich, but left a bit to be to desired. Despite my issues with the transfer, it is clearly high-def, rarely did I feel I was watching a DVD due to overall sharpness in the transfer. It won't wow anyone, but I'm sure the DVD could not compete. There are also quite a few scenes that look pretty darn nice. 6/10.

Audio
A 2.0 Dolby TrueHD audio track is included, just remember to set it as Dolby TrueHD when you begin the movie. Warner has made it's Blu-ray releases as of late to default to the Dolby Digital track when a film begins. The track was not impressive at all, but I'm glad a lossless version was included. The film's audio is about as good as it could possibly get, just don't expect much. I can't really criticize the audio itself as it definitely is limited to begin with. Dialogue was as clear as it could probably be, as was the film's music, all front and center. Fans should not be disappointed though, as this is the best I see it ever sounding. 5/10.

Extras
Memories From Being There (14:47) (SD)
Additional Scenes (1:41) (SD)
Alternate Ending (2:02) (SD)
Gag Reel (6:14) (SD)
Theatrical Trailer (2:43) (SD)

Blu-news Summary
Being There is a very funny film, and one that I can see myself watching again quite often. It's a nice surprise. Peter Sellers does an amazing job, AMAZING! I really can't imagine anyone doing the character justice but him. This film starts off slow, but keep watching, it gets better and better as it goes on. This film has a ton of replay value for me.

The Blu-ray release is dissapointing to say the least, but at the same time I was left quite pleased if that makes sense. The video presentation is clearly high-def, despite the issues that it does have. Audio is definitely dull, but you can't really expect much out of a limited source. Extras are nice, but definitely lacking for such a good film. The film is very entertaining, and it has unique charm to it. The Blu-ray release is nothing special, but I'm sure the DVD could not compete, just don't set your expectations high. The film alone though makes it definitely 'Recommended.'

To Order From Amazon.com, Click Here!

Additional Screenshots:
To Order From Amazon.com, Click Here!


No comments: