Sunday, May 24, 2009

Spring Breakdown Blu-ray Review

Spring Breakdown Blu-ray Review
Written by Loys Johnson
Disc Size: 13.0 GB
Film Size: 12.5 GB
Film Rating: R
Region: Free

Video
Spring Breakdown comes to Blu-ray with a 1080p VC-1 video presentation. The video is nice, but not amazing. I was shocked to see the small encode size provided for a high-def release, but regardless it still is a nice upgrade from standard definition. There were no crushing or macroblocking issues, and no excessive use of DNR from what I could tell. The film had a few moments that looked as if they were touched just a little, but I am leaning more towards how it was filmed. Colors were fairly impressive, particularly any outdoor party scene. Spring Breakdown features every color imaginable, and it all looks very pleasing. It looks just fine, and certainly high-def. 7.5/10.

Audio
A 5.1 Dolby Digital track is included, and wow has it been a long time since I've had to say that for a major studio. I noticed that the release was prepared in January in anticipation of an earlier February release date, unfortunately the earlier release date did not happen. Which is why the film features a lossy audio track. The track was fine for what it was, but nothing impressive. Dialogue never sounded as clear as we have come to expect from a Blu-ray release. I don't see this being released with high-def audio any time in the near or far future, so I wouldn't let this stop you from picking it up. Warner has definitely stepped up since this was made. 5/10.

Extras

Commentary by Director Ryan Shiraki and Writer Rachel Dratch
The commentary track is by far the best extra included. Both Ryan Shiraki and Rachel Dratch are featured, and always have something to say about everything. There's a lot of things I didn't catch while watching the film, that are pointed out by them. It's a fun and even informative track.

Additional Scenes (2:50) (SD)
There are four additional scenes, and the funniest one is the last one. Fans should definitely enjoy them, despite them being in standard definition.

Gag Reel (2:04) (SD)
Typical gag reel, some funny bits some not so funny bits.

BD-Live
Download the latest Warner Bros. trailers.

Digital Copy
Have been originally produced for February release, the disc is unfortunately only Windows Media compatible.

Blu-news Summary
Spring Breakdown is a film that I was quite anxious to watch since I first heard of it. I am a big Amy Poehler fan, which is why I may sound a bit biased. The film is direct-to-video, but that doesn't keep it from being just as funny as a theatrical release. It doesn't rely on special effects, etc. Amy Poehler, Rachel Dratch, and Parker Posey are great as a trio, and I found myself enjoying the film much more than I had anticipated. It's not up there with the best comedies, but it provides a good time.

The Blu-ray release is good, but far from impressive. With a good video presentation, a disappointing audio track, and a small amount of extras. It's hard for me to recommend the disc as a whole, but I would at least 'Give It A Rent' for film alone.

To Order From Amazon.com, Click Here!

Additional Screenshots:

To Order From Amazon.com, Click Here!

No comments: