Wednesday, October 21, 2009

Love Actually Blu-ray Review

Disc Size: 41.0 GB
Film Size: 38.1 GB
Film Rating: R
Region: Free

Video
Love Actually comes to Blu-ray with a 1080p VC-1 video presentation that is sure to please. The film looks very natural, colors were rich but not overblown. There is a healthy layer of film grain present at all times, and detail is quite good throughout the presentation.

Unfortunately I do not own the DVD release to compare, but to be honest I don't see how the DVD could compete with the presentation of this release. Despite it being a bit on the softer side at times, it still exhibited the obvious high-def quality at all times.

There does not appear to be any DNR or edge enhancement, and I have to give props to Universal Studios for giving the film a very nice encode size. While the transfer doesn't reach demo material levels, I don't see it looking any better at least on Blu-ray. 9/10.

Audio
A 5.1 DTS-HD Master Audio track is included. I have to say I found the film's score very impressive, it's filled with emotion and comes through the front left and right speakers very beautifully and lively. The film is very front heavy, but I was still very pleased by the lossless audio mix.

Dialogue was crisp and clear like a new release. Sound effects were front heavy, but it actually works for this release, there's not too much going on that it would demand surround use to immerse. I think fans of the film will be very happy with the audio track, the clarity on this release is very impressive. 8/10.

Extras

My Scenes (BD-Live Enabled)
Save your favorite scenes and share them with friends over BD-Live.

Deleted Scenes (37:16) (SD)
with introductions by Richard Curtis.

The Music of Love Actually (SD/HD)
with Introductions by Richard Curtis. Intros are in standard definition, while music moments are in high-def after being explained.

The Storytellers (9:59) (SD)
A behind-the-scenes featurette with cast and crew interviews. It's not the most in-depth featurette, but certainly enjoyable.

Kelly Clarkson - "The Trouble with Love Is" Music Video (3:49) (SD)

Billy Mack - "Christmas is All Around" Music Video (4:13) (SD)

Audio Commentary
with Director Richard Curtis and Actors Hugh Grant, Bill Nighy and Thomas Sangster

What's New (BD-Live)
Check out the latest trailers, exclusive content and more! Powered by BD-Live.

Blu-news Summary
When this title was announced for Blu-ray, I could not remember if I had seen this film before or not. After viewing the Blu-ray release, I am absolutely positive I had not seen it prior, there is no way I could forget a film like this.

The film is touching, beautiful, and overall one of the best romantic comedies I've ever seen. I don't know how I missed this release before, but it's a film I plan to watch many times in the future. The cast is extremely impressive, everyone brings such powerful performances and quality.

The film's script is the most amazing part through, the writing and scenes are truly terrific. If you have not seen this film before, I highly recommend doing so. While the movie is not intended for kids, it is a film that will appeal to both females and males, unlike many romantic comedies. 10/10.

The Blu-ray release is very good, featuring impressive visuals and audio. Extras are all ported from the DVD release, with the addition of BD-Live options. Ultimately this Blu-ray release is a 'Must Own' for fans and 'Highly Recommended' to those new to the film.

Additional Screenshots:

To Order From Amazon.com, Click Here!

No comments: