Wednesday, October 14, 2009

Trick 'r Treat Blu-ray Review

Disc Size: 15.4 GB
Film Size: 13.1 GB
Film Rating: R
Region: Free

Video
Trick 'r Treat comes to Blu-ray with a 1080p VC-1 video presentation, which is decent but far from perfect. First off, there was noticeable black crushing, weak black levels, and a few other technical issues with the transfer itself. The black crushing was not constant, but it did happen several times throughout the presentation.

After checking the encode size of the Blu-ray release, I was shocked to see the film took up only 13.1 GB of space. Normally I don't allow encode sizes bug me too much if the presentation itself looks good, but in this situation I truly feel a bigger encode would have benefited this Blu-ray release.

At least I can happily report there is no DNR or edge enhancement present with this release, everything looks quite natural. There are scenes that are just a bit softer than the overall presentation, but appears to be just how the scene was filmed.

I probably make the video presentation sound like a disaster, but believe me it's not, it just is far from the perfect transfer I had hoped for. There is still plenty to love about the video presentation, and it certainly looks much better than the DVD could look, just don't go expecting the best eye candy. 7.5/10.

Audio
Warner has included a 5.1 Dolby TrueHD audio track. I am so pleased by this, as the title was originally announced as a lossy Dolby Digital track. While I don't have the Dolby Digital track to compare, I found the 5.1 Dolby TrueHD track very nice. The biggest flaw with the audio is the lack of surround use at times, making it a fairly front heavy experience.

There were effects thrown in quite constantly, which were fitting and did create a good sense of environment for the film. It just didn't bring the chills I would have hoped for, as heard on other horror films.

This track is very good despite it's lacking nature at times. Dialogue was crisp, clear, and really shined. The film's music and effects were a more front heavy experience, but there definitely is surround use at the most obvious times. It's a respectable track, I can't complain too much about it. 8/10.

Extras

Audio Commentary
By Writer/Director Michael Dougherty, Concept Artist Breehn Burns, Storyboard Artist Simeon Wilkins and Composer Douglas Pipes.

Trick 'r Treat: The Lore and Legends of Halloween (27:25) (SD)
A look at the history of Halloween, as well as cast and crew interviews. This is definitely an interesting featurette worth checking out.

Additional Scenes (16:53) (SD)
Includes optional commentary by Writer/Director Michael Dougherty.

Trick 'r Treat: Season's Greetings (3:52) (SD)
An animated short which includes optional commentary by Writer/Director Michael Doughtery.

School Bus FX Comparison (1:14) (SD)
A side-by-side comparison of CGI being added to the filmed scene and the final scene.

Digital Copy (Compatible with iTunes and Windows Media)

Blu-news Summary
I have been reading the hype about this film for months, so I was certainly excited about this release. Unfortunately, the film does not live up to the hype, but it's definitely so much fun. I thought the film was well put together and edited nicely, but I did feel there were some missed opportunities with the included stories.

The film isn't one to take serious, it's fun and I see myself viewing it every Halloween for years to come. It's hard to go into my dislikes for the film without major spoilers, but like I said, the fun factor definitely makes it easy to forgive it's flaws.

There are four stories interwoven into one Halloween night, and I definitely loved the order of them. The Anna Paquin story was by far my least favorite, it just lacked so much depth, but I still love her. Sam is the character featured on the cover art, he can be cute as button and creepy as hell at the same time, and I'm sure you will likely become a fan as well.

The Blu-ray release is good, not perfect, but I liked the extras included on this release. Don't believe the hype for Trick 'r Treat, you may find yourself a bit disappointed if you do. Go in expecting a fun time, with some tricks and some treats thrown in. 'Recommended.'

Additional Screenshots:

To Order From Amazon.com, Click Here!

No comments: