Monday, February 8, 2010

New York, I Love You Blu-ray Review

Disc Size: 23.1 GB
Film Size: 19.9 GB
Film Rating: R
Region: A

The Video
New York, I Love You comes to Blu-ray with a 1080p AVC/MPEG-4 video presentation. The film looks pretty nice in high-definition, although certain scenes don’t lend themselves extremely well to high-definition depending on how they were shot.

Everything was filmed in high-definition, but certain scenes looked slightly more out of focus than others, and at times featured less detail than I anticipated. The majority of scenes featured a strong level of detail and clarity though.

Colors were rich and vibrant and black levels always stayed solid and inky. The transfer itself appears to be in top condition, with no noticeable artifacts throughout. The only issue I really have is how certain scenes were shot and perhaps edited, but as a whole this is one very good looking presentation. 8/10.

The Audio
A 5.1 DTS-HD Master Audio track is included for the Blu-ray release and sounds surprisingly good. The track is very dialogue focused being a dialogue heavy film, but the mix also manages to throw in a great amount of effects with a good sense of direction.

Dialogue is presented very clearly through the center speaker as expected. The film’s music and effects are a bit more front-heavy than I would have liked at times, but open areas do feature some nice added effects to create a more immersive feel.

There was never a moment in the mix that I found anything difficult to understand, the mix also never felt noticeably flat or dull like many films can. The track won’t necessarily amaze, but it definitely sounds very nice for this type of film. 8/10.

The Extras

These Vagabond Shoes (11:44) (SD)
Written by and Directed by Scarlett Johansson.

Apocrypha (13:32) (SD)
Written and Directed by Andrey Zvyagintsev.

Director Interviews (16:26) (HD)
Brett Ratner
Yvan Attal
Josh Marston
Mira Nair
Sunji Iawi

Original Theatrical Trailer (1:57) (HD)

Extras are very light, but I was surprised to see two bonus segments (scenes that did not make the cut) included. The first is Written and Directed by Scarlett Johansson, and is actually a bit better than some of the segments (though its color choices would make it feel out of place among the rest). The second is Apocryphia, which is Written and Directed by Andrey Zvyagintsev, which was cut for good reason. 4/10.

The Movie
First we had Paris Je T’Aime which became quite a hit by independent film standards. The success of course called for a sequel, which is known as New York, I Love You.
New York, I Love You is a series of stories that take place in the wonderful city of New York, each short film directed by some quite talented Directors. The movie also features a pretty strong cast, although not as strong as in Paris Je T’Aime.

I went in to New York, I Love You with no real expectations whatsoever. I had heard some good things and bad things, but didn’t let either sway me in how to feel. The movie starts off quite decently but the film as a whole felt very inconsistent story-wise. There were a few (particularly toward the beginning) that left me wondering if I actually wanted to finish the film.

I stuck through though and found myself pleasantly surprised by the significant boost in quality that comes with the second half of the film, including a very touching scene directed by Joshua Mastron. This scene features Eli Wallach and Cloris Leachman as a long married couple that constantly bickers, like only the most long lasting and loving relationships do. It was definitely the strongest of the scenes in my opinion and I found it very touching.

The film tries to be a bit too artsy at times, but not succeeding at all. You can have a very artsy film, but when moments make no sense at all and have you checking your watch, you will definitely find yourself losing viewers.

Overall I found myself enjoying New York, I Love You much more than I thought I would at the beginning half of the film. If you enjoyed Paris Je T’Aime you will likely find a lot to enjoy about New York, I Love You…although I do admit it is not as consistent quality wise. The film is not for everyone, but it definitely has an audience which I’m sure will at least be satisfied by this film like I was. 7/10.

Blu-news Summary
The Blu-ray release is very good, featuring satisfying video and audio presentations. Extras are a bit lacking though. Overall New York, I Love You on Blu-ray is ‘Worth A Look.

Additional Screenshots:

To Order From Amazon.com, Click Here!

No comments: