Wednesday, March 17, 2010

The Fourth Kind Blu-ray Review

Disc Size: 27.4 GB
Film Size: 25.3 GB
Film Rating: PG-13
Region: ABC
The Video
The Fourth Kind comes to Blu-ray with a 1080p VC-1 video presentation. Having seen the film theatrically, I kind of knew what to expect for the high-def release. The actual results are definitely about what I expected, there is some strong high-definition moments but not necessarily impressive.

The movie mixes high-def scenes with standard-def scenes quite nicely; suffice to say this film was not made to be visually stunning. The transfer is quite strong as a whole, featuring some impressive black levels and rich colors.

The level of detail does vary; at times certain scenes were shot slightly out of focus, which doesn’t allow much detail to seep through. The film definitely features that nice clarity that comes from a proper high-def release and does feature a strong amount of depth throughout.

The film just looks good. To be honest I wasn’t dazzled, but there were very few complaints I had, and those complaints were with the look of the film itself. The movie may not lend itself particularly well to compare to the best high-def releases, but it is accurate and presents everything nicely. 8/10.

The Audio
An English 5.1 DTS-HD Master Audio track is the lossless option included. Spanish and French 5.1 DTS audio tracks and an English Descriptive audio track are included. Subtitle options include English SDH, Spanish and French.

The audio quality of the DTS-HD Master Audio track is especially impressive. The movie features some terrific LFE and everything is well balanced. Dialogue of course is prioritized, presented clear as can be, front and center.

The film’s more intense moments definitely get aggressive and wake up your surround system. Your room will be rumbling during certain scenes, which is exactly what I was hoping for. There are some very aggressive moments and we definitely get immersed into the experience.

The clarity of everything is impressive and this is definitely a far more exciting mix than I expected from the movie. I don’t recall the audio theatrically, but this mix definitely stands out to me. I’m very impressed by the quality of the mix and viewers are definitely in for a treat. 9/10.

The Extras

Deleted Scenes (23:12) (SD)
Eight or nine deleted scenes are included and presented in standard-definition.

My Scenes
Bookmark your favorite scenes and share them with your friends via BD-Live.

D-Box Motion Code
For those with a D-Box Home Theater setup, a D-Box Motion Code is included which I think would be quite impressive for this film.

BD-Live
Checkout the latest trailers from Universal Studios Home Entertainment.

The extras on this release are rather disappointing, as I only consider the deleted scenes and D-Box Motion code as actual extras. My Scenes while handy is simply a standard by many studios in the form of bookmarks and BD-Live also features nothing exclusive to this title. 3/10.

The Movie
The Fourth Kind is a film I remember since the very first theatrical trailer was released for it. The movie definitely caught my attention and sparked my interest, the commentary from actress Milla Jovovich only made me more curious.

My theatrical experience was interesting. I found the movie to be quite entertaining and definitely left me on the edge of my seat at times. The different types of footage mixed into a film worked quite well and I loved the style of the film.

It was definitely interesting returning to the film upon its Blu-ray release and feeling much more underwhelmed. It was a mix of both knowing what happened in the movie already and the background of the movie itself.

I won’t talk about the background of the film and the controversy around it, as I definitely feel it ruins some of the effect the film can have on a new viewer. If you are interested in this movie, do not Google for information regarding it, it will definitely affect your viewing experience.

Frankly I found myself quite bored the second time around and I think many viewers will feel the same way. The story is about alien abductions, which is definitely a very interesting subject and something that will likely entice many viewers.

Unfortunately I find this movie lacks replay value, which while unfortunate I can’t lie. The movie is definitely something I would recommend viewing for sure, but I do think it is better left as a rental over a purchase. Some may enjoy it enough to find some good replay value out of the title, but I don’t think this will apply to most viewers.

Regardless, give the film a chance and make up your own decision. It’s definitely interesting the first time viewing, but the surprises in the movie just don’t hold up as well the second time around. I don’t want to sound like I think it’s a bad movie, because it’s not, it’s actually quite good. I say give it a rent first just to avoid potential regret. 6/10.

The Blu-news Summary
The Fourth Kind is an entertaining alien abduction film, but ultimately lacks replay value. The Blu-ray release itself is great as far as video and audio presentations. Extras are definitely lacking though. The Blu-ray release is ‘Recommended’ to fans of the film. Those new to the film should ‘Rent It.

Additional Screenshots:

To Order From Amazon.com, Click Here!

No comments: