Wednesday, May 19, 2010

Legion Blu-ray Review

Disc Size: 36.2 GB
Film Size: 24.9 GB
Film Rating: R
Region:
ABCThe Video
Legion comes to Blu-ray with a 1080p AVC/MPEG-4 video presentation. The video presentation is a good looking one, but never quite reaches the level we call reference. The film features plenty of fine detail, but there are also times where detail isn’t as sharp as I would have hoped.

Despite certain moments lacking in sharpness, I don’t blame the transfer rather the way those specific scenes were shot. Black levels are solid and inky throughout, with a few instances where they are not as deep due to the way they were filmed it seems.

The film is one which definitely improves upon its DVD counterpart and has a fitting gritty look. There really aren’t many complaints I have about the look of the film or its high-def release. The Blu-ray release won’t become reference material for anyone, but it certainly looks very good for a horror film. 8/10.

The Audio
An English 5.1 DTS-HD Master Audio and French 5.1 DTS-HD Master Audio are the audio options included on the release. Optional subtitles include English, English SDH and French.

The 5.1 DTS-HD Master Audio found on this release is certainly an impressive one. Dialogue is presented front and center, staying crisp and clear throughout. The film’s effects can be front-focused particularly towards the beginning, but quickly open up once the action starts happening.

The intense moments of the film become very immersive audio-wise. The quality of the sound effects are also very impressive, there are a few moments throughout where I thought the noise was coming from the room rather than the film.

Overall the audio presentation is definitely a great one, but falls a bit short of the best audio mixes on the format. I definitely enjoyed the track, but I would be lying if I said it was one of the best I have heard. It’s very hard to be disappointed by what is included and I would say it certainly helps bring you into the film. 9/10.

The Extras

Disc 1:

MovieIQ
Connect to real-time information on the cast, music, trivia and more while watching the movie. You must have a BD-Live connected Blu-ray player to use MovieIQ.

Bringing Angels to Earth: Picture-in-Picture
I love a good Picture-in-Picture track and this one is certainly enjoyable, although does use footage from other features included on the disc. Regardless I think this is a great way to watch the extras while watching the film.

Creating the Apocalypse (23:43) (HD)
Go behind-the-scenes of production of the film. This is a very enjoyable bonus feature and I actually liked it more than the movie.

Humanity’s Last Line of Defense (11:32) (HD)
The cast of the film talks about working on the movie as well as their specific characters. This is also a very enjoyable feature and is definitely worth watching.

From Pixels to Picture (10:57) (HD)
A feature dedicated to the visual effects in the film. We get to see how a lot of the effects were done, something which I love to see.

Previews (HD)
High-def trailers for available and upcoming Sony Pictures Home Entertainment releases.

BD-Live Portal
Download the latest trailers for upcoming Sony Pictures theatrical and Blu-ray releases.

Disc 2:

Digital Copy
Compatible with iTunes, Windows Media and PSP.

There aren’t very many extras on this release, but I definitely LOVE what was included. The features take us behind-the-scenes of production and I love that everything is included in high-definition. The Picture-in-Picture track is a great way to present many of the bonus features to where they fit in the film. The Digital Copy is a nice addition for those who want to take the film on the go. The extras definitely show that quality is more important than quantity. 7/10.

The Movie
Legion had me excited since the theatrical trailer; the movie looked like it would be a very fun apocalypse film, although not something to be taken seriously. Unfortunately I didn’t get a chance to see the film theatrically, but I did make the time when the Blu-ray release arrived at my door.

Watching the film I found myself quite impressed by the beginning of the film. Things really start off with a bang once the old woman (shown in the trailers) attacks the customers inside the diner. However, the movie’s great start became mindless very quickly.

I wasn’t taking the film seriously at all, I expected to have fun and I definitely did. However by the time you are done with the film, you realize everything happened without any real back-story or explanation for many of the events.

The film’s special effects are impressive and there are some intense moments throughout, but overall the story really didn’t feel like much thought was put into it. I almost felt the focus was more on the special effects rather than a storyline as many things don’t add up or feel fitting towards the end.

The movie can be fun if you leave your brain completely at the door, but even then the script is filled with cheesy dialogue and pointless scenes to add to such a wacky story. I liked the film in certain aspects but ultimately it isn’t something I would want to watch again unfortunately.

The movie drops the ball big time and really disappoints. I can understand movies wanting to be fun, but this film has no substance and ultimately isn’t as enjoyable as it could have been. This is one movie only the director could really love, and that is only slightly enjoyable due to the neat looking action sequences. There are definitely worse films out on Blu-ray, but this is definitely one of the worst I have seen recently. 4/10.

The Blu-news Summary
Legion is pretty stupid, but the Blu-ray release itself manages to impress in all aspects. If the film does interest you I say you should definitely ‘Rent It.’ If the movie doesn’t interest you, move on and ‘Skip It,’ nothing to see here folks.

Additional Screenshots:

To Order From Amazon.com, Click Here!

No comments: