Wednesday, June 23, 2010

Unthinkable Blu-ray Review

Disc Size: 26.7 GB
Film Size: 20.0 GB
Film Rating: R/Unrated
Region: ABThe Video
Unthinkable comes to Blu-ray with a 1080p AVC/MPEG-4 video presentation, presenting both the theatrical and extended versions of the film via seamless branching. The video presentation is quite impressive, featuring strong levels of detail like a new release can.

The movie also has a slightly gritty look to it with film grain present throughout. Colors are definitely on the warmer/darker side but they are quite impressive visually. The level of high-def pop is great and compares to any new release.

The presentation does feature a few softer scenes, but overall the look of the film was consistently sharp and visually impressive. The video quality looks to be true to the source and the transfer itself did not feature any technical issues.

Overall I’m quite impressed by the presentation as a whole. The video presentation is great and while it may not compare to the very best on Blu-ray, it definitely is a marked improvement over its DVD counterpart. 8/10.

The Audio
An English 5.1 DTS-HD Master Audio track is the lossless option included and is actually the only audio option aside from audio commentary. Optional subtitles include English and English SDH.

The audio on this film is a bit more front heavy than I anticipated, but I also didn’t anticipate the film to be as dialogue-driven as it actually was. The surround use is present during the more intense scenes and does make its presence known.

Dialogue is front and center, always clear and easy to understand. The film’s mix is definitely a good one overall; there was nothing that really stood out to rave about. The audio mix does the job nicely and I think this is about as good as it could be considering the film itself. 8/10.

The Extras

MovieIQ
Connect to real-time information on the cast, music, trivia and more while watching the movie. You must have a BD-Live connected Blu-ray player to use MovieIQ.

Audio Commentary
With Director Gregor Jordan.

Previews (HD)
High-def trailers for other upcoming Sony Pictures Home Entertainment releases.

BD-Live Portal
Download the latest trailers for upcoming Sony Pictures theatrical and Blu-ray releases.

I definitely wish more features were included, maybe some deleted scenes or at least the theatrical trailer. Unfortunately the only real extra on the disc is the audio commentary, but some may consider including both versions of the film an extra. 3/10.

The Movie
Unthinkable is a film I honestly didn’t even hear about until the Blu-ray release was announced. However, once I learned about the film I definitely wanted to see it. I am a huge Samuel L. Jackson fan and enjoy almost all of his performances in film.

The movie gave me the impression of being an action-thriller, which is why I expected a more robust audio track prior to seeing the film. Once I saw the film itself though, my expectations changed completely. The movie isn’t very action-driven at all, but still has a great amount of thrills as the characters are down to the wire.

The film isn’t going to be memorable for many; I suspect many will go without seeing the film either as theatrical promotion had to have been quite weak. The story is good and the acting is great, but ultimately I didn’t feel the story did enough to say “That was an amazing film.”

The movie features some great aspects and for the most part I stayed very entertained. This is a film that will definitely get a mixed reception among viewers; some may feel it is something they would watch once and never again. Others may feel the opposite and find it to be much better than they expected.

I felt a little bit of both. The film is good and I definitely could see myself watching it again, but given the amount of new titles I am constantly watching…there isn’t very much that will want me coming back to ‘Unthinkable’ anytime soon. At the end of the day I would definitely recommend you watch the film at least once if it does interest you even at all. 7/10.

The Blu-news Summary
Unthinkable is a good film which unfortunately doesn’t do much to stay memorable. The video and audio presentations are great and definitely improve upon the standard DVD in every way. Overall I would say Unthinkable is worth your time, but I would say ‘Rent It First.

Additional Screenshots:

To Order From Amazon.com, Click Here!

No comments: