Thursday, July 8, 2010

G.I. Joe: The Movie Blu-ray Review

Disc Size: 19.8 GB
Film Size: 18.8 GB
Film Rating: Not Rated
Region: A
The Video
G.I. Joe: The Movie comes to Blu-ray with a 1080p AVC/MPEG-4 video presentation. Prior to watching the disc I did have decent expectations. I wasn’t expecting a breath-taking transfer whatsoever, particularly due to the animation style as well as the time in which the film was produced. Without a proper cleanup, I expected to see plenty of dirty and plenty of specks.

Once the film started I realized my expectations were just right. The presentation is not breath-taking, but it also is not bad by any means. Certain moments in the film tend to look pretty rough, while others do present a pretty clear high-def image.

There are many instances in which dirt and specks become quite present, but it wasn’t absolutely terrible. The animation is quite simple in the film, but translates well to Blu-ray with solid lines that hold up well. The colors on the release are much more pleasing and give the presentation a bit more pop.

G.I. Joe: The Movie definitely could have looked better in high-definition if it had the proper cleanup, but only if it had a proper cleanup. Many studios have shown that a cleanup can mean a quick application of DNR and EE, but I am glad they did not go this route.

What we really have to ask ourselves is this: “Is G.I. Joe: The Movie’ really worth the investment for the studio to give it a proper cleanup?” While the G.I. franchise is quite popular overall, I don’t think this is one title that would see the financial gain of a proper cleanup. Overall the video presentation is more than decent and I find the transfer quite respectable considering the source elements. 7.5/10.

The Audio
An English 2.0 Uncompressed PCM audio track is included as the lossless option, it is also the only audio option aside from the audio commentary. No subtitle options are included.

The 2.0 PCM track is about what I had expected, disappointing but not terrible. The audio would definitely be dated and there are times throughout where it sounds better or worse than average. Everything is pretty much front and center, but fairly easy to understand.

Dialogue is generally quite clear, there are moments of slight cracking and hissing, but I definitely expected that. The film’s music and effects do have a dated sound to them, but I don’t really have anything to complain about.

The audio mix on the Blu-ray release is dated, but so is the film. You can’t expect miracles and this one is quite average, but not everything is going to sound like a new release film. Even if the film received a 5.1 surround mix, the quality would still be the same. I’m pleased, but I can’t rave about the mix whatsoever. 6/10.

The Extras

Disc 1:

Audio Commentary
With Story Consultant Buzz Dixon.

“Knowing Is Half The Battles” PSAs (SD)
Eight PSAs are included and are presented in standard-definition.

Art Gallery (1:02) (HD)

Also From Shout! Factory (SD)
See previews for Shout! Factory releases on DVD.

Disc 2:

DVD copy of the film.

All bonus features from Blu-ray.

DVD Exclusive – Printable Screenplay

The extras on this release are satisfying, although I consider the audio commentary to be the only actual extra. The PSAs and art gallery are nice, but not something I would view again. The DVD copy is a nice and smart addition, hopefully convincing those with kids or DVD only at the moment to buy the Blu-ray combo pack. 3/10.

The Movie
G.I. Joe: The Movie is not a great film by any means, but I found the movie has such a campy feel that allowed me to enjoy it even more. The movie is definitely for kids, but I think adults who grew up with the G.I. Joe Franchise will enjoy the movie just as much.

While reviewing kid-targeted films I tend to have children watch the film and give their opinions to me. With G.I. Joe: The Movie, the reception was definitely mixed. Of course, the animation being old-school could be a turn off to some children who have only grown up with the quality of Pixar and 3D animation.

Three children watched the film and one loved it, one liked it and one said “I didn’t really like it, I wouldn’t ever want to see it again.” This is one which I think most could sense if their kids would like it or not, if they are into action figures and superheroes than they will very likely enjoy the film more than those who don’t.

The film isn’t something I would call smart whatsoever, the plot and lines in the film are quite cheesy nd not everything makes sense in the movie. If you loved the movie as a kid or maybe even an adult at the time, this one is fun revisiting. However, if you are new to the movie I honestly don’t think it will be nearly as appealing. The movie isn’t great at all, but I found it fun for what it is. 6.5/10.

The Blu-news Summary
G.I. Joe: The Movie is a fun but cheesy film that will be fun for many and quite bland for others. The Blu-ray release is decent, featuring a pleasant video and audio presentation. The extras are slightly disappointing, but I am glad a DVD copy is included. The audio commentary is also worth checking out. Overall the Blu-ray release is ‘Recommended’ to fans, but I would recommend those just slightly interested to ‘Rent It First.

Additional Screenshots:

To Order From Amazon.com, Click Here!

No comments: