Tuesday, July 6, 2010

Hiromi Kanda: Hiromi in Love Blu-ray Review

Disc Size: 11.5 GB
Presentation Size: 9.15 GB
Rating: Unrated
Region: A
The Video
Hiromi in Love’ comes to Blu-ray with a 1080p MPEG-2 video presentation. The video presentation is a mixed bag for me, a lot which I blame on the source itself over the transfer. I can say I am disappointed that an outdated video codec was used for the video presentation, but all in all I don’t think it was the reason for most of the video issues present.

The high-def encode could have been bigger, taking up less than 10GB of space on the disc, a big no-no when using MPEG-2 especially. The presentation is definitely softer to begin with, but I found black levels to be a bit underwhelming at times due to some slightly noticeable crushing.

I wasn’t going in expecting reference level material here, but I do wish the video presentation had a bit more room to breathe. Overall I thought it was a respectable presentation, I never felt like I was watching a DVD, despite some less impressive moments. The video presentation gets the job done and I can’t say I am very upset by it. 7/10.

The Audio
An English 2.0 Linear PCM audio track is the lossless option/the only audio option included. Subtitles are not included.

The audio on the release is only 2.0, but I am very glad to see it is uncompressed. The audio quality on the release is quite impressive, featuring some very clear and beautiful moments. Dialogue is presented nicely, always featuring the nice crisp depth that only a lossless track can provide.

The film’s music also features a nice level of clarity that cannot be confused with a lossy track. The audio doesn’t have surround use whatsoever, but that doesn’t keep this release from sounding so nice. I think the audio definitely gets the job done and I can’t imagine the music on this Blu-ray release sounding any better in terms of clarity. 9/10.

The Extras

Bonus Song: How Deep is the Ocean (3:37)

Bonus Song: All the Way (3:27)

Two bonus songs are included which are audio-only. This is a nice addition, but some behind-the-scenes footage could have/should have been included. 1.5/10.

The Performances
The following classic songs are performed on the Blu-ray Disc:

1. That Old Feeling
2. When I Fall in Love
3. Someone to Watch over Me
4. Always Here for You
5. My Funny Valentine
6. Blue Love
7. Cry
8. In the Wee Small Hours of the Morning
9. I’ll Never Smile Again
10. The Second Time Around
11. Unforgettable

Hiromi Kanda is an artist I have heard about before, although I can’t say I have ever really heard her music before. The Blu-ray release of ‘Hiromi In Love’ includes a selection of classic songs, performed by Hiromi with music video style sequences for each song.

To be honest, I think Hiromi is a very talented singer and you can quickly get a sense for her love of classic songs, while giving each song its own meaning and sequences. I’ll admit, I did get a slightly creepy vibe from Hiromi from time to time, I can’t really pinpoint why, but watching it made me feel slightly odd.

Regardless of the creepy vibes, there is no denying that Hiromi has talent. Fans of classic songs, particularly the ones included may want to give this release a chance. Hiromi performs each song beautifully and tastefully and overall I really enjoyed it.

Hiromi Kanda definitely won’t appeal to everyone, but I do think there is a lot to love about her performances on the Blu-ray disc. The music is beautiful and sounds even better uncompressed on this Blu-ray release. 7.5/10.

The Blu-news Summary
‘Hiromi In Love’ is not for everyone, but I think many will enjoy her classic style and performances. The Blu-ray release while not perfect, can be quite impressive. Overall the Blu-ray release is ‘Recommended’ to fans of Hiromi and ‘Worth a Look’ to those with a wide range of musical tastes.

Additional Screenshots:

To Order From Amazon.com, Click Here!

No comments: