Friday, October 29, 2010

A Nightmare on Elm Street (2010) Blu-ray Review

Disc Size: 25.8 GB
Film Size: 20.9 GB
Film Rating: R
Release Date: October 5th, 2010
Region: ABC
The Video
A Nightmare on Elm Street (2010)’ debuts on Blu-ray with a 1080p VC-1 video presentation. Being a newly produced film I expected great things. The film looks great in high-definition overall, but that isn’t to say it is without issues.

The film starts off a bit soft when it comes to certain shots in the diner (particularly the scenes involving Kellan Lutz), but the overall clarity was still nice. The video presentation does pick up significantly and becomes the sharp detailed video presentation we all hoped for.

The video presentation remains strong throughout. Colors are nicely muted to give a chilling look to the film. Black levels while generally solid did at times suffer; if you look closely you will notice some minor crushing at times during Freddy sequences especially. Again, this is a very minor issue.

Overall I do think this is a strong presentation and the film is given a healthy sized encode. There are scenes which were significantly less impressive to the overall presentation, but there was nothing that was especially terrible looking.

As a whole I was impressed by the video presentation. Most scenes are visually impressive, I love the way the film was shot and I love the way it looks on Blu-ray. I do think the presentation could have looked better if given an even bigger encode (especially since they are using a BD50 disc), but it certainly could have looked much worse. Thankfully Warner Home Video gave the film a good-sized high-def presentation which is generally impressive. 8/10.

The Audio
An English 5.1 DTS-HD Master Audio track is the lossless audio option included. Also included are French, Spanish and Portuguese 5.1 Dolby Digital audio tracks. Optional subtitles include English SDH, French, Spanish and Portuguese.

The audio mix included is quite impressive as a whole, but I also think it could have been slightly better had there been some adjustments. The film being a horror film, surround use is a must, and thankfully there is plenty of surround use.

I did have an issue with dialogue, which wasn’t bad at all. Dialogue was front heavy as expected, but it wasn’t as crystal clear as I had hoped. Then Freddy’s voice comes in which is notably louder (and clearer) and sounds slightly out of place to the rest of the dialogue in the film, it wasn’t bad at all, but it was distracting at first.

The film’s surround use moments are common, making presence in every scene. The horror sequences are especially strong and add a lot to the film experience as a whole. There are creepy moments and the clarity is all is very good.

Overall the mix is very good. Had there not been the slight issue with the dialogue I would have been even more impressed, but regardless I still enjoyed the mix very much. ‘A Nightmare on Elm Street’ features a chilling audio mix that fans will certainly enjoy. 8/10.

The Extras

Disc 1 (Blu-ray Disc):


Freddy Krueger Reborn (13:54) (HD)
Director Samuel Bayer and cast/crew talk about what makes the film series so iconic. The crew talks about starting over with a new Jackie Earle Haley playing Freddy Krueger.

WB Maniacal Movie Mode (Picture-in-Picture)
Explore the Maniacal Mind of Freddy Krueger as the Nightmare is reborn.

Focus Points (HD)
Makeup Makes the Character (3:34)
Micronaps (2:38)
The Hat (2:31)
Practical Fire (2:32)
The Sweater (2:20)
The Glove (2:24)
The Victims (3:51)

Additional Footage (HD)
Hospital Ending (1:11)
Nightmare Street (0:58)
Alternate Ending (6:12)

BD-Live Portal
Watch the latest trailers from Warner Home Video.

Disc 2 (DVD):

DVD copy of the film
With select features from the Blu-ray disc.

Digital Copy of the film
Compatible with iTunes and Windows Media.

The extras included on this release are very enjoyable. I loved the picture-in-picture option, I just wish there was more content throughout. The behind-the-scenes featurettes are all very interesting and informative, despite being short. The additional DVD and Digital Copy of the film round this release out nicely. 7.5/10.

The Movie
I remember when the remake film ‘A Nightmare on Elm Street (2010)’ was announced. I remember thinking how exciting it would be to see Freddy Krueger return to the screen, an iconic character and certainly one of my favorite horror villains.

My excitement unfortunately dropped when I saw the trailer for the film, which of course features the new Freddy Krueger look and actor. The trailer made me lose all hope in the film; the character looked very lizard like and was just disappointing.

I still wanted to give the film a chance however, because it could surprise me. I know most will not agree, but I actually found enjoyment from ‘Friday the 13th (2009)’ with a successful return of Jason and elements which stay true to the entire franchise.

‘A Nightmare on Elm Street (2010)’ was being butchered by critics, but I still gave the film a chance. I didn’t like the film at all upon first viewing, I couldn’t get over the new Freddy Krueger look. Perhaps the look is more realistic, but it didn’t scare me in the least. I love the original look of Freddy, slightly cartoonish but far more scary.

I was anxious to revisit the film on Blu-ray. Over time I have come to accept the new look of Freddy a bit more and perhaps that is the reason I enjoyed the film much more this time around. The story was interesting; I definitely enjoyed the deeper background story which was always just implied in the original film.
I loved that certain sequences from the original film were reused for the remake; I loved the bedroom sequence especially. I did think they showed a bit too much Freddy this time around, with the film relying much more on jump scares than actual tension.

I mentioned that I found the story interesting, but not necessarily good. As said I liked the background relation to the characters, but at the same time you have to leave your brain at the door as not everything is logical.

I will never enjoy the remake as much as I enjoy the original film. I don’t think the film is a disaster, but I do think plenty could have been better executed. They are working with such an iconic character and franchise that they could have done so much more with the character and story.

If you are a fan of the original, there is a chance you will enjoy this solid but troubled remake. I definitely think the film could have been much worse. I think Jackie Earle Haley did a respectable job as Freddy Krueger, I can’t imagine the pressure in attempting to live up the role made iconic by Robert Englund. The remake is definitely better than several of the films in the franchise, but it won’t ever live up the original. 6/10.

The Blu-news Summary
‘A Nightmare on Elm Street’ is not an awful film, but it does fail to come close to the original. The Blu-ray release is good, featuring a solid video and audio presentation. The Extras are also quite satisfying. Overall the Blu-ray release is ‘Recommended’ to fans. Those new to the film should ‘Rent It’ first.

Additional Screenshots:

To Order From Amazon.com, Click Here!

No comments: