Wednesday, January 26, 2011

My Dog Skip Blu-ray Review

Release Date: Jan. 4th, 2011
Disc Size: 20.4 GB
Film Size: 20.1 GB
Film Rating: PG
Region: ABC

The Video
My Dog Skip’ debuts on Blu-ray with a 1080p VC-1 video presentation. The film is now over a decade old so I really had no expectations on the quality, but my hopes were positive considering the fairly random Blu-ray release with no tie-in.

So how is the high-def presentation? Quite good, but not without a couple of flaws. I have never seen the film in high-definition and it has been years since I have last seen the film, but there were a few issues I encountered that may or may not have also been present on DVD.

The negatives? The film’s colors look a bit oversaturated at times and many sequences appear somewhat dark compared to your average Blu-ray release, but that may be the way the film has always looked, I didn’t love it however.

The positives? While the presentation is somewhat soft in nature, I found textures and details to be quite impressive as a whole. The overall clarity is nice and it would be difficult to confuse this with a DVD release. Overall this is a good looking disc, particularly for a catalog film over a decade old. 7.5/10

The Audio
An English 5.1 DTS-HD Master Audio track is included as the lossless option, also included is a French 5.1 Dolby Digital audio track. Optional subtitles include English SDH, French and Spanish.

The audio mix is by far the best aspect of this release, everyone I viewed the film with commented on the nice level of surround use present throughout the film. Clarity was excellent and everything was very easy to understand, it didn’t sound as dated as I expected.

The mix features nice direction and I was really impressed throughout. There are some quieter scenes with less surround use, but nothing to complain about. This mix is not among the very best we have heard on Blu-ray, but it sure sounds much better than I anticipated. 8.5/10

The Extras

Audio Commentary
By Director Jay Russell

Audio Commentary
By Frankie Muniz and Animal Trainer Mathilde De Cagny

Deleted Scenes (4:11) (SD)
With commentary by Director Jay Russell

Theatrical Trailer (1:40) (HD)

There are not many extras included, but everything appears to be ported over from the DVD release. While I do wish new features were included, I do see why the studio may have not seen it as a wise decision financially (especially for not being an anniversary release). 4.5/10

The Movie
I love ‘My Dog Skip,’ and I always have. I admit, I am a sucker for films involving dog friendships. There have been some great dog films within the past few years, but ‘My Dog Skip’ really is among the most touching and enjoyable.

The film is over a decade in age and I cannot believe I am saying that, while I have not viewed the film in years, it is difficult to imagine so much time has passed since its theatrical release. I was very excited to have the chance to revisit the film on Blu-ray and my feelings stay just as strong as ever about it.

The film stars a young Frankie Muniz as Willie Morris, a boy who desperately needs a friend. His mother plans a birthday party for him and unfortunately he knows nobody he could invite, aside from relatives. On his birthday his mother surprises him with a terrier named Skip who changes Willie’s life.

The film makes for a great evening with the family and dog lovers will find the greatest enjoyment from the film. It is a story of love, loyalty and growing up. The film always touches me (being a dog owner) and I always find myself tearing up by the end as hard as I try not to.

The movie is well made and beautifully told. Not everyone will embrace the film like I did, and I can understand that. Viewers who don’t particularly embrace animals will have a hard time connecting with the film and others may find it somewhat cheesy. Personally, I love it. 9/10

The Blu-news Summary
‘My Dog Skip’ is a great family film with a good Blu-ray release. The video presentation is satisfying and the audio mix is impressive. The extras are all ported over as well. Overall this Blu-ray release is ‘Recommended’ to all.


To Order From Amazon.com, Click Here!


No comments: